Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Apple Pie Meditations

So, I am working on the perfect apple pie.

My family likes it soft... no chewy chunks of fruit... and spicy, so we use nutmeg in it, like a McDonalds pie. now, I have my own home canned apple chunks that I'm using for filling. Thing is I'm likely to run out of those before I perfect my pie, and I suspect that the type of apple you use has a lot to do with the price of rice here.

so far, I take about 3 pints of my home canned , home grown apples ( green and red.. not sure what kinds they were) and I put in three tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 cups of sugar, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of nutmeg and one of ginger, a dash of salt, a cup of flour and 3 tbls of cornstarch. its like Apple spice pudding when I get through with it. I mash the mixture a touch with a potato masher.

I am at the moment, experimenting with a rebake. A dutch apple I made today came out half baked, due to my pre historic oven and probably the density of the crumb topping. I'll let you all know how the rebake goes.

No comments: